Steve Allen Mashburn
The oldest of four boys, Steve Mashburn was born in Canton, Cherokee Co., Georgia on 16 January 1955, the son of Allen Banks Mashburn and Dorothy Jane Long. The family moved to Jacksonville, Florida where Steve attended first and second grades at West Riverside Elementary and third, fourth and fifth grades at Sherwood Forest Elementary.
During Christmas break of the Steve’s fifth grade, the family moved to Cobb County, Georgia where Steve attended Bell Ferry Elementary. While attending J.J. Daniel Junior High, he was the first student from that school to be selected to the Georgia All-State Band. He graduated from Sprayberry H.S., Marietta, GA in 1973 where he was the first music student from that school to be selected to the Governor’s Honors Program.
- Berry College (1973-1976), music scholarship, president of Phi Mu Alpha.
- West Georgia University, B.M (1980), music scholarship, double major in Music Education and in Music Theory/Composition. Only non-history major to exempt Georgia History.
- University of Georgia (1984), work towards masters degree in music composition.
- Lesley University (2004) M.Ed.in Curriculum (Instructional Technology)
- Lesley University (2006) Ed.S. in Curriculum (Instructional Technology)
- University of Georgia (2007) certificate in Educational Leadership.
During his first band directing job at Red Bud High School, Steve gained a reputation for rapidly turning a program around by increasing the Cardinal Pride Marching Band from 45 members to over 120 in three years (in a high school with less than 200 students). Subsequently, Steve had 2/3 to 3/4 of the student population enrolled in band at every school in which he taught.
As a middle school director from 1985 to 1989, Steve’s 6th grade band, 7th grade band and 8th grade band each received a Superior Rating at GMEA Concert Festival (total of 15 Superiors – more than any other director in Georgia during that time period).
Some of Steve’s former students include Chris Cauley, finalist on the Voice, Michael Grebe, movie and TV actor, and Jaymi Renae, professional singer. Several of Steve’s musical compositions and arrangements are published by Charles Hansen Music.
In 2004, as the District Fine Arts Curriculum Specialist for Forsyth County Schools, Steve lobbied for and oversaw the first fully-funded instructional materials budget for the general music, art, drama, chorus and band programs (1.5 million dollars).
As an Instructional Technology Specialist and as the Coordinator of Online Education, Steve was instrumental in helping make Forsyth County Schools a nationally recognized leader in educational technology. He also co-developed the Assessment for Learning (AFL) staff development course that was taken by all 2000 teachers in the school system. The AFL course taught teachers how to use assessment not just for evaluation but as part of the instructional process that increased student achievement.
Steve has been an active member of the Georgia Music Educators’ Association, the Professional Association of Georgia Educators, the Music Educators’ National Conference, The International Society for Technology in Education, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
- 1976 – Production Worker, Trend Carpet Mills, Rome, GA
- 1977 – Salesman, Ken Stanton Music, Rome, GA
- 1978 – Retail Manager, King Brothers’ Music Studios, Rome, GA
- 1980 – Band and Choral Director, Red Bud High School, Calhoun, GA
- 1984 – Band and Choral Director, Morgan Co. High School, Madison, GA
- 1985 – Band Director, E.T. Booth Middle School, Woodstock, GA
- 1986 – Band Director, Cartersville Middle School, Cartersville, GA
- 1989 – Owner/Operator, Print Post USA, offset print shop, in Kennesaw/Acworth, GA
- 1994 – Band and Drama Director, Otwell Middle School, Cumming, GA
- 2000 – Instructional Technology Specialist, North Forsyth HS, Cumming, GA
- 2004 – Fines Arts/Social Studies Curriculum Specialist, Forsyth Co. Schools, GA
- 2007 – Coordinator of Online Education, Forsyth Co. Schools, GA
- 2013 – Retired
- 2014 – State Coordinator, National Student/Parent Mock Election
Steve is married to the former Rita Poole, the daughter of J.T. and Frances Poole. Rita is a retired assistant principal (Marietta City Schools). Steve and Rita have two great sons: David, an assistant principal in Gilmer County, GA, and Daniel, a department supervisor with Home Deport and a member of the punk band Picture Perfect Skylines. Steve and Rita also have two wonderful grandchildren.